Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crunchy Tip #3 (Food Storage)

Ever since I learned about the BPA in all plastics, I've been gradually replacing my kitchen plastics with glass. You will see many advertised plastics with "No BPA" labels but be informed that they still all have some traces of it. Also, manufacturers are not required to label BPA so we have no way of knowing if it's present in the plastics.

On the bottom of (most) anything plastic, you will see a number. There are varying degrees of plastic and it is best to know which ones are the least harmful. Shoot for plastics numbered 1,2,4, and 5. Anything else I would advise staying away from. Most importantly, never heat food in plastic or put heated food into a plastic container. If plastic is all you have, wait until the food is cooled. Heating plastic can transfer harmful compounds and the BPA can leach right into the food and drink.

Since I no longer purchase food in cans, I purchase them in glass. Instead of going out and buying new glass food storage containers, I save my glass containers and reuse them to store various foods in. Two birds with one stone- I avoid using plastic and I save money.

1 comment: